Do you have an Avocado, a few herbs and a packs of Bagels lying around in your house?
Let me share with you a breakfast recipe, that will put the best Deli/cafe in your neighborhood to shame, both in taste as well as appearance! Vibrant green Guacamole originates from Mexico and it is my favorite dip as it is quick to make, healthy and incredibly tasty to serve as a side-dish. That’s why I have evolved in using it in all sorts of dishes in different forms. Here, I am going to show you a way to use Guacamole as a delicious topping to your everyday breakfast bagel. You can also use it in a similar way in sandwiches and Paninis.
Try this scrumptious breakfast variation and I assure you that it will soon become a regular feature in your household. Enjoy!
For the Guacamole:
– 1 large Avocado
– 1/4 cup of fresh Coriander/Parsley leaves, finely chopped
– 1/5 cup of Spring-onion Greens/leaves, washed and finely chopped
– 3 tbsn Lemon juice or as per taste
– Salt and Pepper to taste
– 2 Breakfast Bagels (I used the sour Cream and chives flavored ones)
– 1 large Tomato, cut into round slices
– Some Bacon (optional)
– 1/2 cup grated Cheese of your choice (I used Spiced Cheddar cheese)
– A pinch of dried Mixed Italian herbs (optional)
– Some extra-virgin Olive Oil
– 1/4 cup of Butter at room temperature
– 2 Eggs
– Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C.
– Slice both of your bagels from the middle and place lighter sides up. Apply butter on each of their surfaces. In a baking tray lined with parchment paper, bake in the oven for 7-8 minutes or until golden-brown and crisp!
– In a separate tray, line your tomato slices and drizzle some olive oil, along with a pinch of dried mixed herbs and some salt and pepper. Put in an oven at the same time as bagels, in a lower shelf. Bake till they are nicely cooked.
– While the Bagels and tomatoes are baking, prepare your Guacamole!
– In a bowl, add the avocado flesh and mash well with a fork. Add the Coriander, Spring-onion greens, salt, pepper and lime juice and mix well to combine. Set aside. Your Guacamole is ready!
– In a frying-pan, fry both your eggs, sunny side up. You can also poach them for a more healthier option. Set aside. If using Bacon, fry it till crisp and well-done! Set aside!
– Once all the elements are ready. Assemble your Breakfast bagels…..
– Place the bagels on your work-top, buttered sides up.
– Top the two bottom pieces with a generous sprinkle of grated cheese.
– Next, place your yummy baked tomatoes on top of the cheese. Divide all the slices between the two bagels.
– Scoop large quantities of the delicious green Guacamole and spread on top of the tomato layer on both the bagels.
– Finish the assembling by sprinkling some more grated cheese.
– Replace the top halves of both the bagels over their bottom halves.
– Heat some butter in the frying-pan or a grill. Heat your loaded bagels in it till the cheese melts and the bagels are hot.
– Serve the Yummy Guacamole topped Bagels hot with a fried egg and crispy bacon. Pair it with a steaming cup of hot tea and your breakfast will be an envy of the fanciest cafes in town! Enjoy folks!
– Never make a large batch of Guacamole as anything with Avocado in it has a short shelf life. Always prepare Guacamole according to the requirement and consume rapidly! Also, using Lime juice in Guacamole is essential as it prevents the avocado from turning brown fast.