Happy Monday folks!! (Cummonnn…we might as well get it over with!) 😉
Today’s recipe is a very special one as it has stuck with me for ages since I first had it. It was at my now best friend’s birthday party when we were teenagers. Her mom served these standard Marie biscuits that you get in India..topped with pizza sauce, grilled crunchy vegetables and lots of melted cheese. Think of it as a little pizza. Always a foodie, I remember being totally blown away by them. Therefore, the sheer genius of the concept has really stuck with me even after all these years.
This week’s theme for the Foodie Monday Bloghop was a super tricky one- One teaspoon oil! Now, you need to understand that I am an all out girl…Kachoris, samosas, Butter chicken, Pooris…bring it on, but cooking with one teaspoon oil is very very difficult to me. I was thinking of the possible recipes and it was then that this recipe came back to me. Yes it could work….. I would just saute the veggies in 1 tsp oil, load them over the biscuits along with a no-cook pizza sauce, top it with cheese and grill them for a minute or two. Oh yeah, we were doing it.
It turned out to be great!!
The salty vegetables and cheese balances out the little sweetness that comes from the biscuits very nicely and every bite is yummy and flavorful.
Now, the trick here lies in using the low fat version of the biscuits as they are considerably less sweeter. We don’t get Marie biscuits here in Dublin per se but get similar ones by the name of Rich tea. I had a pack of low fat Rich tea biscuits at home from the time my mums visited me last month and that just sealed the deal. It was as if it was meant to be. If you are not the one to tolerate even a little sweetness in your appetizers, then you can also replace the biscuits with the savory crackers quite comfortably.
Lastly, please note that I have used mint leaves only for garnishing. It goes with the recipe in no way. 🙂 I just wanted a burst of green color and since I had only red bell peppers in the fridge, I topped my little pizzinis with the mint leaves on a whim, at the very last moment. So if you replicate the recipe- Don’t eat that!!
Give this recipe a go friends, and have a great week! xx
6-7 low fat Marie biscuits/Rich tea biscuits or savory crackers
For the topping-
- 1 tsp Olive oil.
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes, diced in quaters
- 7-8 mushrooms, washed and chopped
- 1-2 sweet peppers or 1 diced Bell pepper
- 2-3 shallots, minced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- Some grated Mozzarella cheese/processed cheese (you can use the low fat version)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the No-cook pizza sauce-
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp chilly garlic sauce (optional)
- A pinch of dry garlic powder, or to taste
- A pinch of dry onion powder, or to taste
- Dried Italian seasoning, salt & pepper to taste
- Firstly, make your No-cook pizza sauce for your Pizzinis! Simply mix all the mentioned ingredients in the bowl together and adjust the seasonings to taste. Set aside.
- Next, saute your vegetables. We do not want to cover and cook them till tender. We just have to saute them a little and let them remain crunchy. In a sauce pan, heat your oil.
- Add the minced garlic and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the veggies and all the seasonings and mix well. Saute for 3-4 minutes on high without covering. Switch off the gas and let the mixture cool completely.
- To make your pizzinis, pre-heat the oven on grill mode, at 180 degrees C.
- On a greased baking tray, place your biscuits/crackers.
- Top each of them with the sauce and vegetable mixture.
- Grate the cheese generously over each topped biscuit and also sprinkle and little salt and pepper at the end.
- Grill for a couple of minutes till the cheese melts and sizzles…yummm!
- Serve immediately and enjoy!!