Hi! Hi! Hiiiiiii!
How is everyone??? I apologise for vanishing for a month without leaving behind a clue. Silly of me! I had actually abandoned blogging because of a very wonderful reason…my mom and my mum-in-law were both visiting us in Dublin for the past one month. So, as all of us can very well imagine, I was on total chilling-and-hogging-on-mums’-cooking mode. It was a very nice time we spent together! They left one week ago but to tell you the truth, I just wasn’t ready to get back to blogging immediately. I was mulling in the hangover of their awesome visit and didn’t feel like stepping into the kitchen to do some extensive cooking right away. Now, I am ready and extremely refreshed after a long break. Sooo… back to business foodies. Here we go!!
We are having the most amazing summer here in Ireland. There’s strong sunshine, long balmy days, cut-sleeves tees & hats, lots of foliage & flower burst and not to forget, summery treats like Ice lollies and Popsicles in abundance. Speaking of summery treats and also, the upcoming 4th of July for all my friends in the USA, I had to make my come-back with a classic that is best-suited to both of these things- the good ol’ Potato Salad !!
When we first moved to Ireland, I fell hard for the delicious potato salad served at various salad bars in the local supermarkets here. I mean, as it is, for me potatoes are life, and when I had this version of them for the first time, mmmmm…it was truly love at first bite!!! ❤
I love my potato salad as it is but it is always fun to try new variations with your favorite foods. Presenting….. *drum-roll*……. the Pesto-Potato salad!
Folks , this is a super-fun variation to try for the upcoming 4th of july or even like, today!! You will love it! This time, I used some leftover spinach in making my pesto and made a huge discovery. Using fresh baby spinach along with basil does WONDERS TO THE COLOR. Such beautiful, vibrant green color, I tell you.
Here’s the link to my Pesto recipe that I already shared in the past.
To sum up, you just cannot go wrong with Potato salad. Ever!! It’s the perfect side-dish for picnics, pot-luck lunches or impromptu gatherings with friends and family. Try try try!!
Have a lovely week ahead my friends, and enjoy! xx
- 2 tbsn fresh Pesto
- 500 grams potatoes, boiled and cubed
- 3/4 cup minced spring onions/scallions whites and greens
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsn distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sweet onion or dill relish
- 2 tsp Sugar or to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Firstly, a very important point- Start making your dressing only when your the boiled and cubed potatoes have COMPLETELY COOLED DOWN! Adding warm or hot potatoes to the dressing will totally ruin your salad.
- In a large bowl, mix well all the ingredients except for the potatoes. Adjust the salt, sugar and acidity as per your personal preference.
- Add your cooled and cubed potatoes to the dressing and with a spatula, mix very gently until they are covered entirely in the tasty dressing.
- Cover the bowl tightly with the cling-wrap and store in refrigerator for atleast 1-2 hours to chill.
- Serve with tortillas, in a sandwich or simply as it is! Enjoy!
If one is not using Pesto, it is essential to also add some minced garlic to the Potato salad. I omitted it here as Pesto already contains A LOT of garlic!