So for the past couple of months, I was suffering from what you can call as a “Cupcake baking phobia“! It involved a full batch of ruined cupcakes that I had to throw awayyyy because too many fresh strawberries had turned the batter liquidyyyy…..ughhhh! I don’t want to talk about it.
Anyway, since that day, I had stayed away from my beloved muffin tray but knew that I have to bake an extra-yummy batch of muffins/cupcakes to get over the unfortunate strawberry incident. So when I saw lovely, fresh carrots and apples together in my refrigerator, I instantly decided to whip up a batch of these easy- breezy spiced carrot and apple muffins for the upcoming Easter Weekend. You can never have too many treats to binge on, over a long weekend, can you?
Usually, I am not the one to hold back on butter and sugar in my baking, but on those rare days when I do think about rationing my calories, I do use oil instead of butter in my cakes and muffins to make myself feel less guilty after eating them. This is one such recipe.
With summer just round the corner, this is such an apt dessert with colorful and flavorful elements like fresh carrots, apples and gorgeous fragrant spices. This is a super easy and quick recipe that requires no hard-work at all and makes perfect and super-moist muffins. Without frosting, they have a long shelf-life as well.
Give this recipe a go and enjoy the long weekend! Happy Easter folks!
– 1.25 cups plain flour
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 2 raw carrots, peeled and grated
– 1 small apple, peeled and grated
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 2 eggs
– 1/2 cup vegetable oil
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp nutmeg
– 1/4 tsp of ginger powder
– Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees C.
– Peel and finely grate the carrots and apple. Set aside.
– In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and the ground spices. Set aside.
– In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, and vanilla extract, for around 3-4 minutes.
– Combine the wet ingredients, along with the grated carrot and apple, into the flour mixture, stirring until everything is well-mixed and uniform. Do not over-mix!
– Pour the batter equally in the cupcake liners and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
– Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Enjoy with your favorite frosting or as it is!
– Instead of fresh grated apple, you may also use the store-bought apple sauce in this recipe.
– You may use 1/2 & 1/2 of demerara sugar and white sugar for a darker color.